Monday, August 11, 2008

Kenshin & Tomoe- A Truly Heartbreaking Love Story


Rurouni Kenshin OAV 1-Trust and Betrayal...

Truly a masterpiece. Beautifully tragic beyond words.

Love, like a small yet delicate bud of cherry blossom on a cold, harsh and stormy night. Kenshin and Tomoe met in an unexpected way under cruel circumstances. Unknowing of the fate that would befall him, teenager Kenshin chose to work as an assasin purely to fulfill his idealism for the safeguard of common men. From the day he murdered his first victim, Kenshin destined himself to be hunted by guilt and mortal sin for the rest of his life.

Tomoe, his first love, and probably only true love, was the only woman in the entire Rurouni Kenshin episodes to bring out genuine happiness, contentment, and devoted love from Kenshin Himura. Now I understand why his love life with Kaoru developed at such a slow pace. Needless to say, Tomoe, Kenshin's first wife showed him the light out of darkness, the true meaning of life and happiness. It was an important turning point in Kenshin's life, when he begin to see beyond assasination and value the life of humans. Just when this was revealed to him, Kenshin loses Tomoe, at his own hands. She saves his life and carves her memory deep within his heart and the cross-shaped scar at the expense of her own life.

I would give the best couple award in this series to Kenshin and Tomoe. A love life so brief yet so full of depth. Each bringing out the best in the other. Tomoe's understanding nature allowed her to forgive Kenshin for the ultimate pain he caused her, and see beyond the assasin he is to his gentleness and pure intentions. Of course, Kaoru deserves as much credit as well, if not more for her ever-patient and devoted love for Kenshin, even when it took him forever to return that feeling. What is a woman? This anime gives credit to all women by portraying our inner strenght as true strenght. Our strong faith in love and gentleness is the little secrets of life that truly brings contentment. Tomoe and Kaoru have shown the true meaning of finding happiness in sacrificing for those we love.

I took a whole day watching the 6 OAV episodes-Trust & Betrayal, and Reflection. Sadder parts took me longer to get through, mainly because I :
watched,
tear drops fell,
pause,
repeat,
cry,
pause,
slowly drink in the meaning of the events,
and play again.
You may say that I'm over reacting for this normal piece of anime, but I'll tell you that few shows can cause me to shed tears and reflect so much on it's story line. Rurouni Kenshin is not just an anime, it's a MASTERPIECE. *This is my blog so I insist it's a masterpiece ;) Even so, you are entitled to your own opinion*.

For those who can't bear long analyzing, I'm sorry but I am an ex-literature student :) It itches to keep all my thoughts to myself, and I can't help analyzing stuff that hits me so hard emotionally. With my qualification as an A-grade literature student, I conclude that the main theme for Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X is:
LOVE PREVAILS ALL

To the creator of Rurouni Kenshin, I give you my utmost salute *salutes!*

~In memory of Kenshin and Tomoe~

0 comments: