I never imagined how formal the election would be! 3 days before the election we needed to submit our manifestos, and then present a short speech on the day itself, and later questions will be directed to us by the crowd. After this the voting will take place.
What post did I run for? Have a look..

Yup. This was my manifesto.Impressive?
Haha! Not sure about that, but I was told it was straight to the point ;)
I was happy and relieved to be the only person to submit my manifesto for Publicity Secretary before the deadline.. I thought I was safe and that I would get the post quite easily. Unfortunately, this girl turned up at the last minute, submitting her manifesto on the election day itself! I know it is allowed to be a last minute candidate, but it just seemed so unfair! I mean.. can you consider someone who does not even make the effort to respect the deadline a good committee member?
But whatever I have against it doesn't really matter because you are allowed to do so. Me and Li-lin, who was running for Events Coordinator entered the hall this afternoon, all ready for the AGM Election and realized that NONE of our friends were there to support us! Other people were arriving.. other candidates.. and a whole bunch of their friends to support them! How nice~~~
To cut the whole day short, we both didn't get the positions we wanted. Wai Xin and May were so sweet to pop in just in time to vote for me :) But still, the other girl won. I think it was mostly due to her having many more friends in the hall than I had. And she looked the type more than I do. Personally, I think I presented myself better in regards to the content of my speech and during the Q&A session.
But what I'm really not satisfied with is that I actually had a mission for this post. I know it's not a significant post in the commitee, but still I think that the Publicity Secretary can do so much more than just send emails! I want to make sure that future members wouldn't feel so neglected as I did, that more Malaysians can have activities together (like Fresher's Day Out) and form lasting friendships rather than just knowing someone's name and say hi/bye from small events! And most of all make all members and other non-Malaysian friends feel at home in MSSM! Well.. their loss. But still all the best to Alex and the new committee. I'm sure they'll come up with a great year for MSSM anyway :)
The Lord answered my prayer to help present a good speech though. I had a few good comments about my speech after that! *proud* Weirdly enough, I do not feel sad about losing the post, but rather relieved and encouraged to try out much more things! It was definitely a worthwhile experience. I had the opportunity to learn to promote myself on a near-professional level, and gained the confidence to be myself while telling everyone in the crowd what I believe in. You don't get to do that often do you? ;) And of course, learn to defend my stand/capabilities if someone should question it. I really admire Kak Dibah though, she has a sharp mind, is aware of current issues and is not afraid to stand for what she believes in.. very impressive.
We spent the end of our SUPER COLD (did I mention that we were freezing the whole time in the hall?) day at McD to satisfy Princess Wai Xin's craving for McD :p I'm very very glad to get 21 votes.. that means that 21 people in the hall supported me! That's a very encouraging result, seeing that only 3 of my friends (including Li-Lin) were there to support me. Quite.. well.. very disappointed with the rest though. Anyway, they are not worth mentioning here since it'll dampen my mood.
Thanks very much to all you voters! I'll use this experience as a stepping stone to achieve much more in the near future ;) Look out everyone cause here I come!



0 comments:
Post a Comment